Eggy Chilli Crumpets – Perfect for a Hangover
This recipe does what it says on the tin. It’s incredibly simple and quick to make and perfect for mornings where your head feels a little fuzzy and you need a quick grease fix. It’s a slight adaptation of a recipe I got from the Jamie Oliver cookbook “Jamie at Home”, and as gastronomically unrefined as it sounds this is easily my favourite recipe from that particular book.
This is up there with Turkish Omelette: Sucuklu Yumurta as my very favourite way to start a morning where I just happen to have a huge clearly non-alcohol related headache that needs curing.
– Recipe –
2 Large Eggs // Salt to taste // Cracked Black Pepper // 4 British Crumpets // 1-2 medium heat Green Chillies // 1/2 a tablespoon Butter // 6 or so slices of Smoked American Pork Belly Bacon //
- De-seed the Chilli and then julienne it into short strips.
- Crack the Eggs into a bowl, add the Chilli, Salt and Cracked Black Pepper then lightly whisk with a fork.
- Warm a pan on a medium heat and then fry the Bacon in it till crisp, reserve the Bacon and keep it warm.
- While the Bacon fries dip the Crumpets into the bowl of egg mix. Turn them a few times and squish them down so they soak up as much egg as possible.
- Fry the Crumpets until golden on each side and serve with the Bacon on top. Serve with a drizzle of a sauce of your choice; Ketchup, Maple Syrup, Brown Sauce, Chilli sauce, whichever you like.