My all time favorite Tomato Meatball Sauce
This one’s not too long and not complicated at all, I think that even my friend Max could make it. I am going with frozen meatballs (the delicious IKEA ones) and also chopped and tinned tomatoes as they are just convenient.
This tangy sauce can be served with a lot of things, it would be good over fish such as Trout, on Lamb Chops or Chicken, and it works really well with Rice, Mashed Potatoes or Pastas on the side, but it really is best with Meatballs and Mustard Mashed Potatoes in my opinion. Try it and let me know what you think!
– Recipe –
25-30 Meatballs // 2 small Onions // 1 stick of Celery // 2 Cloves of Garlic // 2 level tablespoons of Cinnamon // 2 level tablespoons of Sugar // 1/2 a tablespoon of Marjoram // 1 teaspoon of Ground Cumin // 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes // 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Begin by putting the Meatballs on a tray and into an oven preheated to gas mark 6 (400F, 200C), roast them for 25-30 minutes until browned all over.
- Chop the Onion into rings and then halve them and chop the Celery and Garlic finely. Pour 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil into a heavy bottomed pan and cook the Onion/Celery/Garlic on a medium heat until translucent.
- Stir in the Sugar and cook for another few minutes then stir in the Herbs and Spices and cook until pungent and well mixed (2 minutes or so).
- Add the Chopped Tomatoes to the pan and roungly half a cup of Water. Season generously with Salt and Cracked Black Pepper, stir in the remaining Olive Oil.
- Add the Meatballs to this when they are ready, simmer until the sauce is thickened. It takes about 40 minutes, so if you time it right this will be 20 minutes after you added the meatballs.
Add a bit of Mozzarella on top and Enjoy!