Karjalanpiirakkat – Karalian Pasties, a Finnish Treat!
These don’t really fit into a category, pasties? pastries? tarts? pies? and I have never seen them for sale outside of Finland. Served hot, with melted Butter and topped with a bit of Cheese and with Coffee on the side they make an excellent breakfast, or an equally good snack for other times of the day. They consist of a thick unsweetened Rice Pudding wrapped in a crunchy Rye crust, the Rye dough should be rolled as thin as possible for the best texture. Finns often top them with Munavoi, a mix of Butter and Chopped Egg, which is nice but can be a bit too strong for my liking.
– Recipe –
– Ingredients — Makes 16 –
200g uncooked rice // 450ml Water // 450ml Milk // a tiny pinch of Nutmeg // 200g Rye Flour //1 teaspoon Salt // 125 ml Water // 75g Plain Flour // 1 Egg
- Simmer the Rice in 450mls Water for 15 to 20 minutes until the Water has evaporated, pour in the Milk , add the Nutmeg and then simmer it a further 15-20 minutes until it is all evaporated, leave to cool.
- Pour the Rye Flour into a bowl, mix in the 225l of Water to form a sticky dough, slowly add the Plain Four to make a dough that is workable with the hands but with a very little amount of stickiness.
- Break the dough into 16 small pieces (break each lump in half 4 times) and roll these into small cylinders.
- Heavily flour a surface and then roll the cylinders out into very thin ovals (see pictures), as thin as you can possibly make them.
- Place 2 heaped tablespoons of the Rice Mixture into the middle of the Rye Flour oval, smooth the mix out (leaving an edge of roughly 1cm) and then fold the edge up into the sides of the filling. Crimp this edge using a chopstick or the handle of a spoon.
- Whisk the Egg and use a pastry brush to rub it evenly over each of the little finished pies.
- While doing this, preheat the oven to gas mark 8 (450F, 230C).
- Cook the pasties on the top shelf for 10-15 minutes and then serve hot with Butter, Cheese or Munavoi.