Laskiaispulla – Scandinavian Easter Buns (Semla, Fastlagsbulle)
This is a bit late for the start of lent now, however it is so delicious you should make these any time of the year that you want to impress friends and guests with some amazing treats. They make for messy eating with cream coming out of the opposite end of where you bite but that is half of the fun.
The recipe seems daunting with it’s many steps, but I promise it is not too difficult although making a batch is time consuming due to the rising times and certainly, if you make this as a once a year Shrove Tuesday treat then all the effort will be worth it!
– Recipe –
Makes in the region of 15-20 Buns
250mls Milk // 100mls Sugar // 3/4 of a teaspoon of Salt // 2 teaspoons Ground Cardimum // 1 Egg // 2 packets of Dried Yeast // roughly 450g of Strong Bread Flour // 100g melted and cooled Butter // Whipped Cream // Almond Paste // Icing Sugar
- Heat the Milk gently until it is Kädenlämpöiseksi (My favourite Finnish word, means becoming warm to the hand) so a bit above room temperature but by no means hot.
- Stir in and dissolve the Cardamom, Sugar and Salt.
- Lightly whisk the Egg with a fork and add half to the mixture, reserving the other half.
- Mix the Yeast with roughly 100g of the Flour in a bowl, make a well in the centre and begin pouring the Milk mixture in a little at a time.
- Add in the remaining Flour slowly, stirring to avoid lumping, it will be slightly sticky. Then mix in the melted Butter.
- Kneed with well floured hands until smooth and stretchy. Then leave the dough in a bowl in a warm spot covered for 30-60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Kneed and punch the Dough on a floured surface and then begin to break off lumps slightly larger than golf balls.
- Roll each lump into a bowl and let stand covered on a greased baking tray in a warm spot for half an hour or until risen.
- While the Dough is rising, preheat the oven to gas mark 7 (220C, 425F) and then brush the balls with the leftover Egg and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and cool, cut the top third off of each bun and then when completely cool rub a spoonful of Almond Paste on the inside of the cut and then put Whipped Cream on top of that before reassembling the Bun.
- Sprinkle with Icing Sugar and then Eat with Coffee!