Beetroot, Dill and Vodka Gravlax
This recipe is from “Feasts – Food for Sharing from Central and Eastern Europe” by Silvena Rowe, it’s really a pretty nifty cook book, exciting and unusual recipes with really delicious flavour combinations and good full page pictures. I was scared to make Gravlax for years, raw fish being a bit of a danger zone if not prepared properly, but this recipe is actually fairly simple to make and produces delicious results!
– Recipe –
400g Salmon fillet scaled but with the skin on // 2 tablespoons of Sea Salt // 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar // 250g Raw Beetroot peeled and grated // Grated Zest of one Orange // 2 tablespoons of Vodka // a large bunch of fresh and finely chopped Dill
- Place the Salmon on a chopping board skin side down. Mix the Salt and Sugar and rub evenly all over the Fish.
- Mix the Beetroot, Orange Zest, Vodka and Dill in a small bowl. Press all over the Salmon then wrap in clingfilm and then tin foil.
- Put on a plate and then place a weighted plate on top and refrigerate for 36 hours.
- Unwrap the Fish, scrape the coating off and then slice very thinly.
- Garnish with Beetroot, Radish, Shallots and or Dill.