Pedro’s Crispy Lemon Chicken.
This is another recipe from my friend Pedro, like the chocolate chip cookies I posted ages ago! I was pretty pleasantly surprised when I made this. Having it home-made and keeping the Sauce separate from the Nuggets till the last moment means you will have much crispier Chicken than from any takeaway. You know how it’s always gone a little bit soggy by the time you have picked it up and laid the table… So here we go:
Got this one from the Chinese little fellow from whom I bought beer at 1/2 am in Lyon.
– Recipe –
– About 600 g boneless-skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 cm2 cubes) – About 2/3 people
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 or 3 large eggs
– quarter cup cornstarch
– half teaspoon baking powder
– 1 pinch white pepper
– oil (for frying)
– (I added 3 tablespoons Sesame Seeds – Tom)
– 1/3 cup Sugar
– 1 cup Chicken Broth, or Water
– 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
– 1 teaspoon Salt
– 3 slices of lemon (peeled)
– 2 tablespoons oil
– Yellow Food colouring (once again, not that necessary)
- Place cut chicken breast pieces into a bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To make the batter – beat 2/3 large eggs with 1/4 cup of cornstarch, a pinch of white pepper and baking powder. Coat the chicken with the batter (The best way is to put the Eggy Chicken into a plastic bag and pour the Cornflour in before shaking very thoroughly).
- Heat around 2 inches of Oil in the bottom of a wok and fry in batches until chicken is fully cooked. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Now, to make the lemon sauce – combine 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 3/4 teaspoon salt (if using food coloring you can add it now). Mix until well combined and add 3 slices of lemon to the sauce mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your wok and stir in the lemon sauce mixture and heat until well mixed and sauce becomes clear. Remove lemon slices and pour the sauce over the chicken and mix. Best served with rice and broccoli…Or even served alone…Great for an appetizer (remember to have toothpicks availiable)…eheh