Rice & Peas
A friend requested this, and its still the period where my coursework load is beginning to build up, but is not yet quite at the horrible/unbearable stage, so I am getting through loads of my favorite recipes at the moment. My friend specified “the kind where the kidney beans turn the rice purple”. I normally use this huge jar of mixed beans when I make Rice and Peas, takes longer as they need rehydrating and then boiling a while, but if you want the Rice to turn purple, tinned beans are the only way to go!
It’s a pretty simple side dish, good with spicy foods, BBQ’s, fish and pretty much any kind of outdoor or communal eating. I had a load more better pictures of a huge pile of Rice and Peas steaming in a bowl, but somehow I didn’t upload them when I though I had, and then deleted the originals! Grr
Feeds 2 – 3 as part of a main meal
- 1 tin Kidney Beans
- 1 cup Rice, washed
- 1/2 an Onion, chopped very fine
- 1 tablespoon Ground Allspice
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 100g Creamed Coconut, diced
- Wash the Rice till you get all the starch off. Open the beans tin, drain into a cup and reserve.
- Sauté the Onion in a little oil, till translucent, add the spices, sugar and Coconut, then Rice, stir for a minute on a low heat.
- Cover over with the cup of Kidney Bean liquid, and a cup of water (Ratio: 2/1 – Liquid/Rice).
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.