Homemade Jerk Seasoning
Same as the Rice and Peas, this is a request. Jerk is brilliant, makes any meat taste hot and summery, and is so perfect used to season Chicken or Fish for the BBQ. It’s heat level can be completely edited to your own personal taste. I personally like a lot of heat, my stomach doesn’t, but I ignore that, its a greater good!
It would be perfectly possible to create a powder mix by substituting the Onion, Ginger and Garlic for their dried equivalents, which you would then add the Peppers/Hot Sauce and Lime to when you decide to cook with it. Meaning you would save a bit of time and not risk having your seasoning go off if you don’t use it regularly.
For a perfect meal (In my opinion) cut fairly deep slices into a mix of Chicken Legs and thighs, then rub them up with Jerk Marinade, leave for at least 6 hours. BBQ the legs and thighs, have some Bacon Fried Corn on the side (upcoming recipe?) with a big pile of Rice and Peas and a very cold beer. Heaven.
- 3-10 Scotch Bonnets Peppers (or Habenero), use one more then you think you need as the flavour mellows during cooking
- Or… Hot Sauce, roughly 3 tablespoons for each Scotch Bonnet you would add
- 1 Lime, juice only
- 1 / 2 of a cup Dried Thyme
- 1 / 4 of a cup Ground Allspice
- Fresh Ginger, to taste, at least a thumb sized piece
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 1 medium Onion
- 5 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- Take it all, blend lightly so still very slightly chunky, taste, change the flavours to your taste (add more Hot Sauce, more Sugar, Lime etc). That’s really it! your Jerk seasoning is made and ready to use. Store in the fridge in a sterile jar and it should take quite a while before it goes bad.
- To use, rub all over Meat or Fish, leave to marinate at least 2 hours and then BBQ, grill or bake.