Liha Perunalaatikko – The amazing tasting Finnish equivalent to Dauphinoise potatoes
My mum used to make Perunalaatikko all the time when I was a kid, now I am an adult and at home and it just happens that I do most of the cooking now, so I am the one who makes it and it’s still just as delicious. Apart from peeling and slicing the Potatoes, most of the cooking is pretty passive, it makes quite a good choice when you want to just bung something in the oven and forget about it for a few hours.
- Recipe -
400g Minced Meat (Lamb, Beef, Pork or a Beef and Pork mix) // 1 tablespoon of Butter // 2 medium Onions chopped roughly // 5-7 medium sized Potatoes sliced as thinly as possible // 1/2 a teaspoon of Allspice Berries // 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper // 3 teaspoons of Salt // 300mls of Milk // 2 Eggs
- Melt the Butter and then simmer the Onions in it on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Grind together the Allspice, Pepper and Salt and then add to the Onion, stir until fragrant and then add the Meat and turn the heat up.
- Cook until browned all over and a substantial amount of juices have been released. Turn the heat right down and simmer for 10-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (200C 400F
- Line the bottom of an oven proof casserole dish with two layers of Potato slices, add a very thin layer of the Meat and then another double Potato layer. Add another layer of Meat and another double layer on top.
- Whisk the Eggs into the Milk, pour on top and then cook in the oven until the Potato on top is crispy and the layers below are completely soft. If the top starts to brown too much, cover it with tin foil for the rest of the cooking time.